My scanned images for you to use
•The student will gain a working knowledge of the clone stamp/healing brush/spot healing brush/patch tool, to correct dust, scratches, tears, etc.
•Use of the Zoom tool, Move tool, Hand tool will also be explored
•The student will gain a basic understanding of the layer panel and its functions
•The student will gain a basic understanding of the history panel and its functions
1) Choose one of my images found here
2) Download the image from the website to your computer. How to download video here. https://youtu.be/P0MG5hjSMU4
3) Open image in Photoshop. One quick way to open the file is to drag the image from the desktop or folder onto the Adobe Photoshop Icon.
What if you get a Missing Profile dialog box? Select - Assign Working RGB: Adobe RGB (1998)
Here is a quick video. https://youtu.be/1jIOJ8hN2Vc
4) Straighten and Crop the image. Video: How To Straighten Crop a Photograph in Adobe Photoshop CC - https://youtu.be/7NI-rnWjJ1Y
List of shortcuts when using the Crop tool in Photoshop:
• “C” selects the Crop tool.
• “O” cycles through the different View overlays .
• “H” hides the image area that is beyond (outside of) the Crop marquee.
• “X” exchanges the Crop marquee from horizontal to vertical and vice versa.
• “Escape” cancels the crop
2b) Take the image to Grayscale.
go to the Menu – Image – Mode – Grayscale
Many time I prefer the look of B&W to the yellow/sepia look of many old images,
You won’t have to deal with choosing the correct color, only the correct grayscale, it is a bit easier to learn the tools in grayscale.
Video - How to make your image grayscale. https://youtu.be/RwswYEPYD5w
3) Make a duplicate layer of the background. VIDEO https://youtu.be/U-Cor30wgaE
-Do not make corrections to the background layer, work on background copy
– Go to the menu – layer – duplicate layer,
(after making corrections on the background copy
-click the eyeball off in the Layers Panel, what do you see?)
4) Use the Spot Healing Brush/Clone Stamp/Patch Tool,
to correct dust, scratches, tears, etc.
– VIDEO Locating the Tools, plus a quick look at the Navigator Panel - https://youtu.be/7kwXjCaIyPo
- VIDEO Overview of the Image - Things to think about while getting started - https://youtu.be/Xa06jj_BiSY
•Work on retouch duplicate layer.
•Work at 100% or greater when retouching.
Healing Tools - Blend Pixels
Stamp Tool - Actual Pixel Replacement.
– To use the Clone Stamp/Healing Brush,
– Hold down the Option Key, cross hair appears,
– Click the mouse in the area you want to sample from (good area), close to the area in need of correction.
– Release the Option Key and clone/click over the area in need of repair.
How To use the Healing Brush. https://youtu.be/PoBHSXD9Uyg
How To use the Clone Stamp. https://youtu.be/fuqwvhQAriw
How To use the Spot Healing Brush, Patch Tool and a bonus, Re-aligning the layers. https://youtu.be/GAYyylfv578
How to use a Rectangular Marquee to define your cloning edge - Remember the Marquee is a selection tool. You can only work inside of the selection. This is great for the borders of your image. Keep them crisp and clean!
Don't forget to -Command D- to remove the selection when you are done cleaning up the edge. https://youtu.be/8cU-S5vPRi0
How to use the History Panel. When you close the file the History goes away and cannot be recovered. That is one additional reason to work in Layers. https://youtu.be/gDTr0PBBvdk
Did a part of your correction not look as great as you had hoped? If so you can copy the old bad to the new bad and start again. No need to redo the entire image. Here is how to do that. https://youtu.be/nuKQdVgk0uE
In this last video I just spend some time retouching an image using what we explored in the earlier videos.
•Bonus use the paint brush to draw a line.
Draw a straight line. Where you want your line to start click once. Move the curser to where you want the line to end. Hold the shift key and click the mouse, a straight line is drawn. https://youtu.be/4mGhtv1HEpM
If you are too close to the area in need of correction you can create more problems.
Be careful of repetitive cloning
– Choose a Brush Size that is close in size to what needs correcting.
– Use a soft edge brush.
– Keep the Aligned Box Checked in the options bar.
– Work at 100% or greater.
When retouching in Photoshop work at 100% or greater view. If less you will not see everything that needs correcting. Also, you do not need to work at 1000% we are correcting for print.
Changing brush sizes without going to the brush panel:
use the left and right bracket keys on your keyboard.
command - S •To save your document -This updates the file you are working on.
command - shift - S •To Save As. -This created a new document.
command - D •to deselect your selection
(The clone stamp has a fly out menu. What are the other tools?)
•Retouching these images will take you quite a bit of time, don’t procrastinate… Start Working.
•Turn in Retouched file as a .PSD
include retouching layers (your background layer should be the un-retouched image)
Title file: Your last name_ first initial_project_.extention ((example)Smith_M_retouch.psd)