PHO102B Digital Photographic Imaging
•••Print this page as your weekly semester guide•••
As opportunities arise, I reserve the right to alter the order and to add to or subtract from this syllabus or weekly semester guide.
PHO 102B - 1001 Digital Photographic Imaging I
PHO 102B - 1002 Digital Photographic Imaging I
This course will introduce students to the basic Adobe Photoshop techniques such as layers, layer masks, color correction and retouching, directed specifically to how it applies to photography, will be explored. We will be using digital camera images. This course can be taken in the same semester as PHO 101. The student must be familiar with computer navigation, saving files, renaming files and using the internet.
1) Work consistently, don’t procrastinate. Things will go wrong. To get the most out of this class you should plan on working in photoshop every day for the next 15 weeks.
1a) OK this is a jam filled class. don’t wait to get started. Start NOW! NOW! NOW!
2) Have fun, explore, share ideas, have an open mind, be respectful or others, work hard, shoot more. Negativity and sarcasm ruin the class. Constructive opinions are welcome, I am open to opinions that are thought out and expressed appropriately.
3) Because this class is mainly a technical class you will not be getting much aesthetic criticism from me. If you have a problem with a project I will let you know how to improve. Ask questions, let me know what you are thinking. send me links to photographers you like, let me know your successes. Please email me at email@example.com
4) TITLEING INFO: please name all files:
Last name_First initial_project.extension
•files not names properly will not be accepted. I will not know the file belongs to you without your name. I will not know the project without the project name included. Makes sense, right? DO NOT INCLUDE MY NAME IN YOUR FILE!!!
You will need QuickTime installed on your computer to view videos. This is a free download.
You will need Java installed on your computer (it should already be installed, it is also a free download. You may need to update your version if your files do not upload http://www.java.com/en/
Book required: No book required
•••Any Project can be turned in BEFORE the due date•••
ONLINE STUDENTS: HANDING IN YOUR WORK and viewing grades:
We will work from Canvas for this. Submit you files here and look at your grades and comments from me on your projects.
TITLING INFO: Please name files: LastName_FirstInitial_ProjectName.Extension
Mary Smith retouch should be turned in as: Smith_M_retouch.psd
Files not names properly named will not be accepted.
I will not know the file belongs to you without your name.
I will not know the project without the project name included.
Makes sense, right?
DO NOT INCLUDE MY NAME IN YOUR FILE!!!
ONLY UPLOAD FILES, NOT FOLDERS -do not zip files or folders
All files should be 2160 Pixels on the longest side 240ppi, 8bit
(exceptions are the files I provide to you)
I want to see Layers in these files!
•Who Are You
•Layered Canvas (saved as .PSD)
•Retouch (saved as .PSD)
•Colorize (saved as .PSD)
•Duotone Contact Sheet (this can be turned in as a .PDF or .JPG)
•CC 50 Images
week 1: TH, August 27 -Sept 2, 2018
Assignment: Who Are You:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (save this email for future use)
•Include your first and last name.
•Best phone number to reach you.
•Best email to reach you.
•Favorite photographer that is not Ansel Adams. Look one up if one does not come to mind.
Tell me why you are drawn to the photographers work.
•What type of photography are you interests you?
•What photography classes have you taken. Anywhere, high school, workshop, online?
•Do you Have Photoshop? Do you plan to subscribe this semester?
•Have you used Photoshop?
•Do you want to be a Professional Photographer? Hobby? For Fun? Sounded cool?
•Tell me something cool, unusual, Something you want me to know about yourself.
Turn in by Tuesday September 4, 8am for full credit. Do it now.
Online Students: Subject Line: PHO102B DE - Who are you
Final Portfolio: Its never to early to start working on your final project.
Introduction to Photoshop
Tools, Panels, creating a canvas.
Today we will explore Photoshop, open a new canvas, look at panels, play with the tools. This will be an overview of where things are. how to pick a tool. color panels, setting up your Photoshop color space for at home.
Set up your color space on your home computer:
Edit – Color Space : I recommend North America Prepress 2 and keeping the Adobe RGB (1998) color space. Your color space depends on your output. here at school we are using Inkjet printers and the Adobe RGB (1998) or ProPhoto RGB would be a good choice.
Assignment: Layered, New Canvas
Due Tuesday September 4, 11:59PM
Macintosh Keyboard PC Keyboard
Command Key = Control Key
Option Key = Alt Key
Delete Key = Backspace Key
Return Key = Enter Key
MY MOVIES FOR YOU:
2) Create a New Canvas: https://youtu.be/-S3ExgrdRHQ
3) Photoshop Preferences: https://youtu.be/cY8P-EfGSiA
3) Marquee Tools: https://youtu.be/D2_Uy7isgg4
4) Lasso Tools: https://youtu.be/hnD7G2dKBFY
5) Gradient Layer: https://youtu.be/waJdKX8SC2o
6) A Little More Info: https://youtu.be/WLKfGRIh07U
•••Photoshop Tool Panel Overview - PRINT THIS!•••
Would you like a review of today's class and a little more information about the interface?
Watch this video. Terry White, The Interface, 59:09 -The good info starts around 5:50.
Be sure to take notes as you are watching.
week 2: TH, September 3 - 9, 2018
Due: New Canvas, Tuesday September 4, 11:59PM
Assignment/how to: Retouch (an old photograph)
my scanned images for you to use
Watch some movie by me, Remember to click the play button at the bottom of the movie window.
07) Straighten and Crop an image 007straighten_crop
08) Duplicate Layers 008duplicatelayers
09) Turning your RGB image to Grayscale 009B&W ( If you take your image to grayscale you CANNOT get the RGB information back)
010) Healing Brush and Clone Stamp 010healing_clone
011) Spot Healing Brush and Patch Tool 011spot_patch_SpotHealing
012) History Panel 012history_cursors
013) Copy and Paste 013CopyPaste
014) Watch more retouching 014WatchMore
015) 015)OneLast Thing
week 3: TH, September 10-16, 2018
Due: Retouch, Monday September 10, 11:59PM
Assignment/how to: Colorize
Watch some movie by me, Remember to click the play button at the bottom of the movie window.
016) Colorize Method 1 016method1
017) Colorize Method 2 017method2
018) Colorize Method 3 018Method3
019) Additional colorize info 019Additional_Info
week 4: TH, September 17-23, 2018
Due: Colorize, Monday September 17, 11:59PM
Assignment: Sizing Images
My Images for you to use:
A video from Adobe on sizing
week 5: TH, September 24-30, 2018
Due: Sizing, Monday September 24, 11:59PM
Assignment/how to: Duotone/BatchRename/Contact Sheet
Use your own images for this one. Bring in a full resolution image to use for this project. Do not download an image from social media. Start with an image at least 3000 pixels on the longest side.
022) How To: Make a Traditional Duotone Video
Assignment Simple Actions
027) How To: Create a Simple Action
028) How To: Saving an Action in Adobe Photoshop
FINAL PORTFOLIO This is the second time you’ve seen this.
week 6: TH, October 1-7, 2018
Due: Duotone/BatchRename/Contact Sheet, Monday October 1, 11:59PM
Due: Simple Action, Monday October 1, 11:59PM
Assignment 50 IMAGES
Introduction to Adobe Camera RAW
How To: https://www.pixelnrg.com/acr.pdf
Bring files to practice with - Or use Mine.
My Movies on Color Correction: Adobe Camera Raw
34) Set up ACR (Adobe Camera Raw)
35) White Balance ACR
36) Shadow Slider ACR
37) Clarity Slider ACR
37a) Basics Tab and a little more in ACR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSBvU9rQB7s
37b) ACR plus localized corrections in PS https://youtu.be/od1KQk4KkdA
37c) Transform and straighten tool in ACR https://youtu.be/KcOx5jgBZwk
week 7: TH, October 8-14, 2018
Assignment: Levels (Global Correction)
Levels, Curves and Localized Corrections
My Movies on Color Correction
25) setting whitepoint, blackpoint numbers 18wbpoint
26) Levels Zilla image 19levelszilla
27) Another Levels
28) Sliders adjustment 21sliders
29) Whitepoint with Sliders 22wpsliders
30) Levels with Vibrance Adjustment Layer 23levelsvibrance
31) Levels with Photo Filter Adjustment Layer 24levelsphotofilter
32) 4 ways to remove a color cast 25bluecast
33) Screen and Multiply Blend Mode Adjustment 26lightmulti
week 8: TH, October 15-21, 2018
Due: Color Correction Levels, Monday October 15, 11:59PM
You are working on the 50 images - snapping and correcting. Don't wait you will get better with practice! Images must not be from the same shoot we are looking for different lighting conditions, different subjects, Have fun go shoot - That is what photographers do. Get out of your house. get off of the campus. stop someplace new to explore after work, after school. Go explore this weekend. bring your camera everywhere, snap what you see! Make images!!!
Assignment: Black and White including Localized Corrections
week 9: TH, October 22-28, 2018
Due: B&W, Monday October 22, 11:59PM
50 images Due at the end of class.
Work in class to finish project and get feedback before submission
week 10: TH, October 29-November 4, 2018
Due: The 50 Images, Monday October 29, 11:59PM
Assignment/how to: Sharpening (Global and Localized)
Use your own images for this one. Start with an image at least 3000 pixels on the longest side.
My Movies on Sharpening
38) Sharpening Prep/Unsharp Mask
39) LAB Sharpening
40) Luminosty Sharpening
41) Layer Sharpening
42) High Pass Sharpening
43) Creative/Portion Sharpening (Localized - Using your Layer Mask Skills)
If you are a Canon shooter what lens do you shoot with? Is it a pro lens?
If not check out a pro lens from CSN and make a sharpness comparison.
It is worth the money to buy a pro lens?
FINAL PORTFOLIO This is the third time you’ve seen this.
week 11: TH, November 5-11, 2018
Due: Sharpening, Monday November 5, 11:59PM
Assignment/how to: Female Portrait
Assignment/how to: Male Portrait
Assignment/how to: Liquify
how to: Portrait Retouching Techniques
My Movies on portrait retouching
44) Intro to Portraits- Base Retouch
45) Clone, Opacity, Blend
46) The Mouth-Teeth
47) Eye and Teeth Whitening
48) Hair Coloring
49) Wrinkle Reduction
50) Selective Sharpening
A great book
Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop (Voices That Matter) by Scott Kelby
Don’t want to change the skin tones much with an adjustment layer, change the blend mode to luminosity…
week 12: TH, November 12-18, 2018
We will continue working on the portrait assignment. Practice is how you become a photoshop guru… Remember not every technique is appropriate for every image, working on a second image will give you a chance to practice techniques you did not use on the first portrait. If you started with a woman your next portrait could be a man, child, push yourself.
more of my my movies on portrait retouching
week 13: TH, November 19-25, 2018
Due: Female Retouch, Monday November 19, 11:59PM
Due: Male Retouch, Monday November 19, 11:59PM
Due: Liquify Retouch, Monday November 19, 11:59PM
Assignment/how to: Borders
Use your own images for this one. Start with images at least 3000 pixels on the longest side.
My Movies on borders and vignetting
week 14: TH, November 26-December 2, 2018
Due: Borders, Monday November 26, 11:59PM
week 15: TH, December 3-9, 2018
All late projects or re-submissions are Due by Wednesday December 5th
Final Project Due -December 11, 2018 •You must Submit the Final Project on time•