Week One: the Classroom
Introduction to the class: What to expect each week out on location.
We will explore Las Vegas through the lens of your camera. We will go on group shoots to iconic locations of Vegas. You will also create, maintain and update your own personal Blog and class Blog weekly over the semester. We will also be exploring current online presentation options.
Please do not ask me if you can bring friends, family children, boyfriends, girlfriends on shoots. In this is a class you have a responsibility to shoot and explore. Bringing along non-photographers you will lose your focus and will do poorly when shooting. Never go off on your own, always photograph with someone from the class. We will break off and shoot in small groups. Everyone will have my mobile #, you must come to the first class to get the mobile #.
1) Show up to class on time. Be prepared to make images. Camera, media card, charged batteries, comfy shoes, hat, water.
2) Stay the entire class time 10am - 1:50pm. This class is about making images.
3) Download the images to your hard drive.
Place them in a folder labeled LVD2017
Then make a folder for each week. Label with the week, class date and location.
4) Make your image selections for the week. You will turn in 10 images a week.
5) Edit/process your images
Size your images.
Add your watermark to your images.
6) Before Saturday at MIDNIGHT email me 1 image.
7) Before 10AM Wednesday upload your ten images to your FB folder.
8) Make a minimum of one comment on each of your classmates photographs each week.
Prep work to be completed before class, week two:
1) Send an email to email@example.com
a) Include your full name.
b) Phone number, where you can be reached.
c) Email address, that you check.
d) Blog or website, if you have one.
a) Shoot a Self Portrait for your FB account.
b) Make a Facebook account if you do not have one.
c) Friend me: https://www.facebook.com/heather.protz
d) On your personal FB Page go to Photos
e) Click, + Create Album
- When you (click, + Create Album) FB will want you to upload a Photograph. Upload your self portrait.
f) Each week you will come back to this album to add your weekly ten image.
-Do not create a new album for each week!!!
3) Create a cover image for FB
Make the cover image 2048x2048 pixels Go here for examples of past students:
a) The cover image must have: the week, the date, and location for each weeks shoot.
b) You can include additional info such as camera, lens, any special process you may have applied to the photographs.
c) The purpose of the cover image is to give a break between weekly images.
4) Create a watermark, signature, logo for your images.
Include a watermark on all images going out on the internet, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
•On the image include copyright, year and name
– option “g” on a mac
– alt, 0,1, 6, 9 on a PC
Mine is simple, I also want mine to blend in but be readable. I have my name and the date. heatherPROTZ ©2017. look at my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/heather.protz
a) Be consistent in size and placement. Keep it small. Do not place over entire image. A corner is good.
b) You can create a logo or use one you already have.
You can continue to refine the WM throughout the semester.
(This is what I have been using)
- You can use Lightroom.
- You can create a signature brush for use in Photoshop.
- Create a Signature Brush
1) Grab a piece of plain white paper
2) Sign your name. (I like the thickness of a sharpie, but explore)
3) Photograph or scan the piece of paper (signature)
4) Download the file to your computer.
5) Open the file in Photoshop.
6) Crop to signature.
7) Cean up dust dirt etc.
8) Add a threshold adjustment layer to clean up signature and add contrast.
-If you don’t like the look, clean up the file using traditional clone or healing then use a curve or levels to pop contrast.
9) Make a selection of your signature using the marque tool .
10) Menu: Edit – Define Brush Preset • Your selection is limited to 5000 pixels.
11) Grab the brush tool, go to brushes, your new brush will be at the bottom of the brush list.
Stamp your signature…
Remember you can change the size of your signature by sliding the master diameter slider in the brushes panel.
This one costs money.
You have many options! Explore and find one that fits your workflow.
Things to Think About:
Size, too large, too small, just right?
Color: black, white, gray!
Placement: traditionally, bottom right side of image.
5) Make sure your Camera Metadata is correct. Time and Date. Add your copyright info in camera, if the option is available.
a) How to create a metadata template to quickly add meta data to your files)
Facebook: Image 2048 pixels on the longest side, 72ppi saved as a .JPG, Quality 10
All Final images will be turned in Full Resolution with no Watermark.
Be sure to save original sized edited files as well as your edited and sized files
When saving your .jpg images using Photoshop, set the quality to 10 - This will be 1/2 the size of a file saved at 12 and yes, it will have the same quality. This info is from the Photoshop Gurus.
•You can run an action.
to size your images
•Explore Russell Browns 1,2, 3 Processor.
•All images must be cleaned up and color corrected before they go out on the internet or ate turned in.
Naming of your files (last name)_(First Initial)_W?_.jpg
Include your copyright info in the metadata.